Saturday, October 26, 2013

Todays was quick and easy.  I only made 2 Quesadilas but the recipe makes at least 8.  Started doing prep work but my lil hand chopper

is not mincing the herbs anymore so off to the store tomorrow and buy a herb mill to get the job done properly.  There was a sale at the grocery so I replenished my herb supply.  I'll mince them all up and freeze them until I need them for a recipe.  Also saw on pintrest where they froze herbs in olive oil for recipes too... gonna have to try that as well.  Tomorrow is gonna have to be an easy recipe day so I can get all the prep done.  Still have to freeze the last of the chicken stock I made.  The little boys (a fox terrier and a min-pin) are loving the chicken that was cooked to death for 2 days.  Hey it might not have any flavor for a recipe but you can't tell them that.

Yes I'm messy in the kitchen but I do clean it up after I eat.  Speaking of which it's time to clean up the kitchen.  Luckily cast iron skillets are super easy to clean.  


Chicken Quesadilas 

1 chicken breast 
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 red onion, chopped 
1 clove garlic, minced
5-6 stips green pepper, chopped
Colby Jack Cheese
about 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced 
6 - 8 low carb tortillas

I use cast iron skillets so either that or a non stick skillet cook the chicken breast on medium heat. Season the breast with salt and pepper. Allow a brown crust to form on the breast, you want to turn it only once after about 4 - 5 minutes, then allow to cook for 4 - 5 more minutes on the opposite side. Place on cutting board and allow to rest for a few minutes so it cools to the touch. Cut chicken into small bite sized pieces, throw it back in the pan with a little oil or bacon grease,add taco seasoning then fry for a couple of minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Add bacon drippings to the pan and saute the onion and pepper until onion is soft, add garlic and cook for a few more minutes until garlic is fragrant. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside. Now I used a new skillet for the Quesadilas, put some bacon drippings in the pan, place a tortilla in pan and layer cheese, chicken, vegetables and cilantro fold Quesadilas over and allow to fry for a min or so until cheese starts to melt. Carefully.... very carefully flip the Quesadilas over and allow to fry for a couple more minutes. Serve with sour cream, pico de gallo, salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment